Wednesday 4 January 2017

10) Enter Dr Brightside






Finally the day of meeting my Oncologist came around, I had had nightmares all week about the cancer cells dividing and eating me alive, I was ready for a showdown and to insist on having Chemotherapy. Nic as always was right behind me in this.

I was called into the room where a very friendly young Consultant and 2 nurses resided, he greeted Nic and I with a warm smile and a handshake - I would listen to what he had to say then I would let rip! Dr Brightside began by taking a thorough history from me, including my family circumstances, my job and my lifestyle - no-one had done this so far. "Right then, I suggest that as you are young, fit and healthy, we go in hard with this. I want you to have 6 cycles of full strength Chemotherapy followed by 15 sessions of Radiotherapy. and 10 years of Tamoxifen (an oestrogen blocking drug)" I could have kissed him! I did not need one word of my argument, he wanted to win this war just as much as I did - I could not have asked for a better Consultant to be on my side. I was so excited to be starting the worst thing I'll ever go through (hopefully)!

Dr Brightside explained that my cancer was still in the Stage 1a category - This was what winning the lottery must feel like!! although the cancer had encroached a lymph node and was all ready to run riot - we had got it really early! He went on to explain that if I didn't have any treatment my chances of survival in 10 years time would be 73%, with treatment it would be 86% - I will take any extra percent on offer thankyou very much, I have future (not yet planned or conceived) grand-babies to meet!

My Chemotherapy was to be a combination of drugs known as FEC-T, this involves 3 cycles of one combination, followed by 3 cycles of another combination - 3 weeks apart. Dr Brightside went into all of the side effects of the drugs, including nausea, hair loss, loss of periods (winner!), possible menopause (unsure if this is a winner or not, as I'm not allowed HRT!), bone pain, neutrapenia (loss of white cells - therefore no immunity) etc etc - too many to continue on with. I was given literature to read which went straight into a drawer at home, and I prepared for the more common side effects - I invested in a thermometer.

Then the big question - Can I run? ....... No! (said in a kind and smiley way, not in a 'don't be ridiculous way'). "I don't want you burn yourself out" Dr Brightside explained, "You will feel tired and need to listen to your body and rest when you need to." (I agreed readily as he obviously was very concerned and wanted me to binge watch more telly and take afternoon naps). "You should get out in the fresh air and walk, but not run. You can do gentle yoga but nothing too energetic so you don't exhaust yourself". Now I can go with this, I am happy to accept this because it was said in a logical understanding way. So Thanks to Mr Brightside, I have willingly put a hold on my training (despite still paying for a gym membership that's not going to be used) and will endeavor to do a few walks a week instead and some yoga at home. (at the time of writing, just prior to round 2 - I now know he is not joking! fatigue is real - 2pm most days I need a power nap.)

After being weighed, measured, boobs and scar checked I was packed off for an ECG, and Echocardiogram (scan of my heart), given an appointment for a Chemotherapy pre-assessment check and my first Chemotherapy - 20th December 2016.

 At my Pre-assessment check, I had a long conversation with the nurse about diet and preparing my body for Chemo. I told her about the impending wedding and my fears of delays in treatment etc (if everything goes to exact plan, without delays, my treatment should end the week before the wedding!) - the advice she gave me was to drink at least 2.5L water per day, have a high protein diet and to incorporate coconut water twice a day to boost the immune system. Now, I'm a bit of a planning maniac - my family have got used to regular running plans, gym plans, food plans, anything in the world plans appearing on our fridge alongside the lists (shopping, to do, to buy, lists of lists) and post-its for this, that and the other, so the day after this appointment I spent time planning a 3 week food plan. The plan was quite comprehensive including protein smoothies for the times when my appetite is poor, a probiotic drink each day (apparently helps keeps sickness & diarrhoea at bay), and high protein breakfast, lunches and evening meals (taken from the Joe Wickes Bodycoach books, so they are quick to cook and I don't have to spend too much nausea time in the kitchen), along with my daily vitamin, the coconut water, the yoga, and the walking - nothing was going to be able to beat this body!!

Anybody interested in making a similar plan, because it sound like a very fantastic thing to do when preparing for chemo - don't bother! it's rediculous!  The next post about my first Chemo will explain more ........ to be continued!! 


 www.breastcancercare.org.uk

 www.macmillan.org.uk

 www.cancerresearchuk.org

 

1 comment:

  1. Great to read this - incredible writing. But I think everyone should have a power nap at 2pm - sounds a good idea

    ReplyDelete